Before coming to New York I always had a fear of riding the subway, I’m not sure if there’s a specific phobia for that, but if there is, I had it. Although that was only until the other day when I realized I had to take it in order to meet my manager downtown. I was so nervous when I swiped my New York City metrocard for the first time. I got onto the subway and just stood there, shocked, I couldn’t believe I was actually doing it. I anxiously awaited my stop (which felt like it was taking ten years to get to) but finally I heard the robotic voice that sounded more like music to my ears, announce my stop. I stepped out on to the subway platform still trembling with fear. I walked towards the exit sign and ran up the stairs into the daylight. I glanced around a bit, looked up at the street sign, and found myself on Bleecker Street. That’s when I closed my eyes and sighed with relief. My first trip on the subway alone was a success! At first I was very happy about this accomplishment that is the every day life for many New Yorkers, that was until I looked at my watch and it read 3:45. “I’m late!” I thought as I started running down the cobblestoned street. I was actually late to meet my manager on McDougal Street to catch up on my music career. After quickly passing a few streets I realized I had absolutely no idea where I was headed. Fortunately I met a young man with a map who led me in the right direction. Ten minutes later and I arrived on McDougal where I vaguely saw from a distance the figure of a woman about 5’1 with blonde hair, black skinny jeans, and a leather jacket. Right then and there I knew it was my manager, Maureen. We greeted each other and started walking the beautiful street. As we passed each storefront, restaurant, and club, Maureen had a story for each. She told me how McDougal Street, now mostly desolate, was once a vivacious spot where young musicians gathered. She told me many stories, as well as showed me many places. She showed me the street that Bob Dylan’s hit single “Positively 4th Street” was based on along with the Blue Note Jazz Club where many renowned jazz artists have performed. Even though she has taught me so much music history in the past, this was still my first real music experience that I’ve had since living in New York and I loved every minute of it!
-Bianca Monica
No comments:
Post a Comment