Sunday, September 19, 2010

Washington Heights

One place in New York City that I really enjoyed visiting in the past 3 months that I've been living here is Washington Heights. Washington Heights is a neighborhood in upper Manhattan that is mostly populated with Dominicans. I am Dominican so going to Washington Heights made me feel as if I was at home. I went because a friend of mine from the Dominican Republic lives there and she offered to give me a tour of the neighborhood. As we were walking down the streets I noticed a woman selling sticks with pieces of mango on them. I was happy to see this because I had not seen mangos since I arrived to NY from the Dominican Republic. The people in Washington Heights were very friendly (except for the annoying men who would hiss at me and my friend was they saw us walking by). I saw many tents, restaurants and Dominican bodegas -small hispanic shops that sell wine and groceries- that sold food and treats that I would only see in the Dominican Republic. Visiting Washington Heights was very fun and I plan on going again very soon to have some delicious Dominican meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment