
While living in New York for the past 2 months I have been able to travel to numerous places that I have heard about by word of mouth. Coney Island, Little Italy, China Town, SoHo, just to name a few but there was one place that I had heard about but never had the chance to visit. I wanted to see the famous art piece that many visitors and locals talk about in Queens. Their website listed it as the “world’s premiere graffiti Mecca” so I had to travel to Queens to visit 5 Pointz (5ptz.com). I took the 7 train over the Queensboro Bridge and got off at Court House Square. When first noticing this building I was amazed by the art, the graffiti painted all over this 5-story building. I never realized how graffiti was an art form; you usually see movies about people using graffiti to vandalize buildings or transportation but seeing the unity of graffiti was amazing. There was not a single spot of the 200,000 square foot building that did not feature graffiti. I was able to see some graffiti artists painting new murals on the building, adding to the huge masterpiece. While there I found out that the New York government is trying to shut it down because the building was not built correct, so I was asked to sign a petition to keep 5 PTZ open. I found out that the building houses a factory inside and some art studios that paint it. After returning back to my dorm I wanted to find out more about the famous 5 PTZ so I visited their website and discovered why the name is 5 Pointz, it says that it “signifies the five boroughs coming together as one” (5ptz.com). I felt that when at the building, the unity from all different colors and artist coming together at their central meeting space and forming their art. Everyone should visit 5 Pointz to experience the beauty and the ever-changing art.
(I took this photo on my iPhone while visiting.)
No comments:
Post a Comment