Sunday, September 19, 2010

Downtown/ The National Underground

Since I've moved to New York City I've been exploring little by little. Central Park, Times Square, and Broadway, were a few of the "must see" places that I have already visited. It's incredible to be able to walk out of the apartment building and right into all of the action. Many of my initial trips were to very touristy places, however, recently I made a very exciting trip down town. My destination was at 159 East Houston Street at a sleek urban styled venue called The National Underground. The National Underground is a rock and roll bar, made up of two floors hosting live bands seven days and nights a week. The very popular musician, Gavin DeGraw, and his brother Joey are the owners of the venue and the upcoming recording company that shares its name.

My boyfriend’s band, Wild Rompit, completed their weeklong tour at The National Underground last Sunday night. Their folk rock edge combined with the underground feel made the night a unique New York City experience. Seeing their concert opened my eyes to the great nightlife of the city beyond the popular headlining bands at Madison Square Garden or the flashy Broadway billboards everywhere you look. It made me think, if this bar is showcasing live performers each night, there must be hundreds of concerts going on through out the city at the exact same time. In the city there is always going to be something going on, and it is easy find. As I was walking through the streets downtown I noticed a variety of restaurants and bars all lined up. It was fun to just walk by and sense the different vibes coming from within. I’ve always been a huge fan of seeing shows. From Broadway to original acts and garage bands, the city provides for great opportunities to support the arts of all kinds.

The concert itself was a lot of fun. The band had a great energy as they performed and were very well received by their audience. Here is some live footage from the show!


No comments:

Post a Comment